Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Veggie patch update

Choosing a sunny position for your veggie patch is important. Unfortunately my veggie patch is too shady now that winter is approaching and I have lost all the squash, zucchini, pumpkin and watermelon I had planted. They were looking healthy, some had even started to produce, then suddenly they all died off just before we got all the rain last week.

This photo was taken about 11.30 this morning and shows the offending trees in the background....
The trees aren't going anywhere so I will have to find a sunny spot to have a winter patch next year.

Some things don't seem to mind the shade. I am picking sugarsnap peas, purple king beans and capsicum at the moment. Lettuce, celery and brassica's are looking ok, and the parsley is thriving, I had just pruned a lot off it just before I took this picture.....
I am picking 6 - 8 chokos a week....

These tomatoes self seeded from the compost I added to this spot. It will be interesting to see if they continue to grow through winter.

The pumpkin vine that self seeded is running rampant.....

But it only has one pumpkin on it at this stage.............

We live on top of a hill so we weren't too worried during the recent flooding rains, but the wind picked up and that is always a worry when you're surrounded by gum trees. It blew a tree over in the back paddock and tore a branch from a tree in the front paddock. The branch landed on top of this gate!

Have a great day.

--
BevB

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry about your vege's Bev.Watermelon was looking yummy too.

Caroline said...

All this rain we have had this year has not done justice to my vegie garden with a lot of things just rotting.

Unknown said...

Even though you lost some I think you are still doing better then I am with my container garden. though my eggplant is doing wonderful :D Keep on Gardening