Friday, May 1, 2009

Veggie patch update

I've been distracted by other things and haven't posted for a couple of weeks, so I thought it was time to take the camera back into the veggie patch.

Every clove of the Australian Garlic I planted in March came up and looks healthy. If they all mature to a good size I will have a great harvest :-)


The onions didn't do so well and if I don't get busy soon the few that have come up will be inundated with weeds!

This watermelon doesn't seem to have grown much.....
and I've now found another which is bigger than the first one I'd spotted.....

A stray pumpkin seed in the compost must have sprouted and has taken off. It's a big vine so I am trying to guide it out onto the lawn so it doesn't take over the whole veggie patch.
We've had a few tomatoes off the heirloom plants and I've picked 29 chokos so far.....
The 5 tomatoes on the left end of the paper towel are heirlooms the one on the right is a Health Kick (probably the last I will get off those plants as they look ready for the compost bin).
The green and red tomatoes in the basket came from friends. They're not sure what breed the tomatoes are as they self seeded in the compost.... perhaps from a home grown tomato or one from the supermarket. These friends are moving to another town and couldn't bring themselves to leave these beauties behind as they were the biggest and healthiest looking tomatoes they'd grown since starting a small veggie patch last year.
They begin house hunting in the new town tomorrow. The layout of the yard is an important part of the criteria for their new home as they plan to put in a lot of vegetables as well as some fruit trees..... just over a year ago that wouldn't have even been a factor! I wish them luck in their venture :-)

--
BevB

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi BevB. love the garlic. It is so hard to get Australian garlic at most supermarkets. That is the main reason that I decided to grow my own this year as well.

Gav

Unknown said...

Wow I love the pumpkin it's growing great. I'm going to be trying pumpkin too. I love useing fresh pumpkin soup breads muffins cookies. YUMMMMM