Thursday, April 16, 2009

Choko's Galore

I've picked 15 chokos from the vine so far and there's plenty more to come by the look of it....
Baby chokos are so cute! Here's one with the flower still attatched....

I found a recipe for Choko Salad on Belinda Moore's blog - http://belindamoore.com/choko-salad
I've made the salad twice now, and it has been enjoyed by most who've tried it.

Just to show I'm not totally obsessed with chokos here's a baby watermelon.....

and some baby squash.....

This Red-necked Wallaby was feeding just outside the front fence this morning....

Have a great day.

--
BevB

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Tiara loved your fat wallaby.
Yummy things also growing.
Hope they enjoyed your salads last night. Love Mary and Tiara

Unknown said...

Sooo what's a choko??

Cute Wallaby :D
I want wildlife out side my fence but all I got is neighbors that are too close :P

BevB said...

Hi Mary & Tiara,
The Victorians weren't too sure about the Choko Salad, but the Queenslanders loved it :-)

--
BevB

BevB said...

Hi April,
Choko - The chayote (Sechium edule), also known as sayote, tayota, choko, chocho, chow-chow, christophene, mirliton, and vegetable pear, is an edible plant that belongs to the gourd family Cucurbitaceae along with melons, cucumbers and squash.
You can read more info at -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

--
BevB

Teena said...

Hi Bev,

I just love Choko's, but have looked and looked for a seedling, or seed but alas can't find any. Someone told me to just go to the Fruit & Veggie Shop and buy one and jam it in the ground and it will grow. Maybe I must have missed the instructions because mine didn't grow, either that or my green fumb has turned brown, it didn't even sprout. Am filled with sadness, the easiest vine to grow and I can't get one of my own.

Regards,
Teena
xoxoxox

BevB said...

Hi Teena,
Try keeping the choko inside until it sprouts. I let the sprout get about a foot long before laying it on top of the soil. (My father-in-law always says half bury it, but all the others I planted like that rotted away.)
When the vine looked strong I mulched the surrounding soil with a little compost and some dead leaves from the mango tree.

--
Bev

Teena said...

Thanks Bev will give it a go!

Teena
xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy Thanks for the Info :D