Saturday, November 22, 2008

Greening My Insides #4




The Green Your Insides Challenge is about greening your home, and paying attention to what you put on your body, in your body, and around your body.





It is now six weeks since I started seeing the naturopath again about my dermatitis (see Greening my Insides #1). There has been a big improvement but I've had a setback the last few days. I'm not sure what has aggravated it. One thing may be the trigger or there may be a few contributing factors.... doing more housework than usual & preparing food last Saturday for a hoard of visitors.... eating some of the yummy food I'd prepared instead of sticking to my diet.... something I've touched.... or it could just be the heat and humidity we've had lately.

The naturopath had planned to start reducing the laser therapy and homeopathic treatment but after seeing me yesterday he changed his mind. He mentioned Hair Analysis so he will be looking into cost and the best place to get this done if we decide to follow this route. It is interesting to note that my Zinc levels were down again.

Wheat grass juice
A couple of weeks ago the naturopath told me if I was going past a juice bar that sold shots of wheat grass juice, I should stop and have one to increase the amount of chlorophyll in my diet. He recommended doing this twice a week.

Me, consume wheat grass..... I never thought I'd see the day!

Problem - The local shopping centres I frequent don't have juice bars and I didn't want to start going to major shopping centres as I'd be inclined to visit the other shops and spend money on things I don't need.

Solution - I went to a health food shop and bought some Organic Wheat Grass Powder
I told the naturopath what I had done. He said this is the second best option, then told me I can build up to taking it every day seems I now have it on hand.

So I put 1 teaspoon of wheatgrass powder into some juice....

Gave it a stir....
.... and down the hatch it went!

Well, it tasted like they had squashed a whole bale of hay into that teaspoon of powder!

This sent me searching Google for other ways to get more chlorophyll into my diet.

I found that -
  • Algae is the highest known source of chlorophyll (... yuck!)
  • Dark green veggies like spinach, Spirulina, wheat grass, broccoli and alfa alfa are also very rich in chlorophyll content.
  • Eat greens! This is the easiest way to make sure that you are getting plenty of chlorophyll in your diet. Dark greens like spinach, chard, collard, broccoli, green beans, peas, celery & parsley
I eat my greens so I figured there must be a reason the naturopath wants me to get extra chlorophylll, so I have perservered.

I have altered the preparation a little, I now stir the wheat grass powder into a little water then add some juice.


This makes for a smoother mixture and seems to have improved the taste.... either that or I am getting used to it ;-)

Wheat grass.... now if that doesn't make me green inside, nothing will!

--
BevB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bev often been tempted to try it. HHMM not sure if I will now. I shall be following your progress carefully on this one to see how you go.
What sort of juice did you mix it in?

BevB said...

Come on Rhonda, be brave, try it :-)
I am mixing it with the juice from tinned peaches or pears (whichever I have open at the time).
The instructions say mix it into juice, smoothie, salad dressing or other food.