Thursday, November 6, 2008

Growing Challenge #2

Growing Challenge -
Grow one additional type of fruit or vegetable than you did last year, and grow it from seed.









The carrots don't seem any bigger than they were over a week ago.

The corn is coming along nicely.....and so are the potatoes
Since taking the photo above, I have hilled the bed up with more straw.

Two sweet potato plants have suddenly appeared in the bath tub experiment.

We received another 41mm of rain last night.

--
BevB

3 comments:

Caroline said...

That is such a good idea putting your sweet potato in a bath tub as they do tend to spread everywhere for the next 5yrs don't they!!
You have inspired me to try this have you much soil in the tub or mainly compost/manure/straw??
love your blog Caroline

BevB said...

Hi Caroline,
This is the first time I've grown sweet potatoes, but had heard they spread everywhere so I thought I'd try the bathtub and see what happens.
I put some stones over the plug area of the tub, then added a bag of potting mix as I didn't have any spare soil. Planted the tubers then added a layer of straw. I plan to add more straw as the plants grow.

--
BevB

Teena said...

Hey Bev....Loving this rain we are getting! More tomorrow (saturday) apparantly but it beats the temp's that I had today...34 ! Crikey it was hot and my vegies were all very sad in the heat.
xoxox