Saturday, March 21, 2009

Roast Pumpkin Salad

We had dinner at a friends house last night. I'd offered to contribute a couple of salads. I ended up taking Fried Rice and a Pumpkin Salad.

The Pumpkin Salad is always enjoyed when I make it so I thought I would share the recipe with you.


Pumpkin, Spinach & Pine Nut Salad

4 cups pumpkin, cut into large chunks of 3-4 cm
2 cups baby spinach leaves
Half a cup of pinenuts
Garlic
Olive oil

1. Brush pumpkin pieces with olive oil and roast in a moderate oven until cooked through.
2. Place spinach leaves in salad bowl and add roasted pumpkin. Warmth from pumpkin should slightly wilt spinach if this is the desired effect. If not just combine all ingredients when cool.
3. In frypan combine olive oil, garlic and pine nuts. Roast pine nuts until slightly brown.
4. Add roasted nuts to pumpkin and spinach.

I don't follow the exact quantities given, I just use what I think I will need for the number of people sharing the meal.

Optional Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp sugar
Mix together in a small jug and sit beside the salad for those who want it.

I have made the dressing in the past, but don't bother now as we enjoy the salad without it.

Have a great weekend.

--
BevB

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I love pumpkin salad but always eat it undressed(lol) I will try your dressing now, I had just never thought to dress it. Love the King Parrots my Uncle feeds them off his deck & we love going to the Bunya Mtns. to see them.

Margaret's Ramblings said...

Sounds delicious. I love pumpkin but haven't tried it in a salad. Will do now though.

Margaret

Tania said...

This sounds like and interesting salad worth trying. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tania

BevB said...

Hi Caroline, Margaret & Tania,
Thanks for dropping by. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend :-)

--
BevB