Wednesday, October 15, 2008

IMPOSSIBLE QUICHE

A few nights go I made an Impossible Quiche for the first time, and we loved it.
There are many versions of this pastryless quiche around. Here is the recipe I used, but see my notes at the bottom for changes I made on the day.

IMPOSSIBLE QUICHE

3 eggs (preferably free range :-)
1 1/2 cups milk
125gm melted butter
1 cup grated cheese
3/4 cup Self Raising flour
1 cup ham or bacon (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
1/2 cup grated carrot (see note below)

Beat eggs with a fork or whisk, add milk, butter and cheese, give a stir, then add flour, ham and vegetables.
Pour into large quiche dish and bake in mod oven (180C) for 45 mins or until golden and set.
Serves 6 good size portions


Note:
I didn't measure the ham, I just used whatever was left over in the fridge from sandwich making.
I didn't use any carrot, instead I chopped up broccolini, silverbeet & spinach from the garden and some shop bought cauli. It was more than the 1/2 cup of carrot but the quiche still turned out great.

The original recipe I'd been given used margarine but we only use butter.
Have you ever compared how butter is made to how margarine is made?

--
BevB

1 comment:

Tania said...

Hi there,

I will have to give this recipe a go oneday soon, as I have plenty of free range eggs. I use a similar recipe but it has pastry mix in it, which is something I never have on hand so this recipe suits me better as it uses flour. I often add grated zucchini and slice tomato on top, I haven't tried carrot. I use only butter in my cooking.

Thankyou for following my blog. I am only new to gardening so reading your blog may help me with my journey. We have removed seven Shingle back lizards from our property in the last two days as they have destroyed my zucchini and cucumbers. We have an influx of them this year, not sure if it is because of the drought. We took them for a long drive out bush and left them there.

Next year I am going to build proper garden beds and lay plastic down because the water just disappears as quick as you water the plants. We live on a sandhill near a saltlake, not ideal conditions for gardening. Very sandy soil.

Have a great weekend.